Pontaix Protestant Temple
The castle’s chapel overlooking the river has got two remarkable projecting windows, it became a reformed 'temple' in the early 16th century. There are 13th and 14th century murals as well as a 16th century funerary strip.
As early as 1561, a church was built in Pontaix. During the wars of religion, Pontaix was one of the Diois's Protestant stronghold, but its fortifications were demolished in 1581. In 1614, Protestants were forced to return the church they had occupied for the last fifty years (the old Saint-Apollinaire Church) to the Catholics. Their temple was demolished at the time of the 'Revocation de l'Edit de Nantes'. Once again a Catholic Church, it escaped demolition in 1685 and became a Protestant temple again at the Revolution.
An underground church is organised as early as 1740 and the provincial synods of 1791 and 1793 took place in Pontaix. In 1803 Pontaix Catholic Church once again is turned into a Protestant temple (following the Concordat) and the “desert” mobile pulpit is installed there.
The funeral strip shows 16th century Huguenots Lords. The temple is a listed heritage building.
Covid Info: re-opening on 18/07
Groups of 10 maximum
From 18/07 to 15/08/2020, daily between 3.30 pm and 6.30 pm.
From 16/08 to 31/10/2020, daily.
Free of charge
- Pets welcome
- Guided individual tours
- Guided group tours
- Tour free of charge
- Guided tours
- Accessible for wheelchairs with assistance
- Credit transfer